This level is part of our Ventures project which is an action-adventure demo focused on combat and puzzle-solving. The story focuses around ties to voodoo magic and the culture that originates from in Haiti, all the way back to Africa. So our demo takes that same journey around the world including multiple locations. This location is within a temple in Africa, as our protagonists look for the clue within. The original "Art Style Guide" for this level some of a temple made of black volcanic stone, partially enveloped in the earth, which consisted of mostly red clay. So I made a Level Design Document to put my thoughts on to paper first: The Forgotten Hollow LDD I then took to unreal, and I knew I wanted to definitely blend these elements together, knowing a combination of landscaping and asset pieces would meld together well. So I started with the landscaping first: I then started to add more of the assets and proxy lighting to piece together the full feel of the scene...
I've been wanting to go back and polish this level, as I received good feedback on most of the layout, but was told some visual pieces needed help. The main critiques were concerning the mountainous landscape I was trying to go for. The shapes I had originally crafted in the landscape caused the material to stretch in too many places, as it wasn't as natural looking as it could be. So my main goal was to go in and smooth out a lot of those areas to make the mountains look more natural, and definitely get rid of those stretched materials. I also was told the lighting was a little blown out in some areas, so I wanted to mess with the directional light a little bit. My main goal there was to make the light not be as contrasting with some areas being super bright, and others being super dark. So making a little more of a neutral feel of the lighting that could be somewhere in the late evening just before sunset. Here's a handful of screenshots of that work:
These past 2 weeks we've had a mock design assignment! Similar to doing a real design test for an interview process in the industry, we weren't supposed to add this piece to our portfolio. So it's almost like signing an NDA, and I don't think I can post screenshots here, but I figured I could at least add my thoughts about the goods and bads from the test. Overview This test was an interesting challenge for me, as I had to focus purely on the composition of the level, and wasn’t able to rely on Blueprints as much to fill in gaps. It really made me pay attention to how each combat area, and connecting routes, were mapped out. Things Working Well · Definitely feel like I’ve improved with focusing on elevation, and utilizing changes in the landscape to make the player feel they are in a more natural area. · I also felt good about my ability with certain proxy lightings, and capturing the mood I’m going for. Things That Could ...
Comments
Post a Comment